Skylar Schulz ’10, Psychological Science Alumn, Shares Insights for Undergrad Gusties Posted on October 29th, 2015 by

Gustavus Alum Skylar Schulz ’10

Last year, Gustavus Psychological Science alum, Skylar Schulz ’10 was awarded the Edith Mueller Endowed Fund for Graduate Education in the Tucker Center at the University of Minnesota. We are delighted to have Schulz share insights and tips for undergrad Psychological Science Gusties with major Tara Hoverstad ’16.

Tara: What advice would you give to PSY undergrads at Gustavus?

Skylar:  My biggest piece of advice to PSY undergrads at Gustavus would be to be grateful. Studying psychology, and thereby grasping to some degree how much the potential for goodness, happiness, and the appreciation of beauty comes from our own minds, is an excellent basis for living a well-rounded and fulfilling life. Be grateful that you are at a place now that is helping prepare you for a successful future, and when you leave Gustavus, be the positive influence in the world that you have been prepared to be.

Tara:  Tell me more about the Tucker Center.

Skylar:  The Tucker Center is a research center at the University of Minnesota that is dedicated solely to research on girls and women in sports. Current research at the center focuses on media representation of female athletes, women and sport coaching, Title IX and gender equality, and the impact of physical activity on girls.

Tara:  What was the application process like for the Edith Mueller Endowed Fund for Graduate Education in the Tucker Center grant and what has it meant for you to receive this scholarship?

Skylar:  The application for the grant that I received, the Edith Mueller Endowed Fund for Graduate Education in the Tucker Center, consisted of writing several short essays about my academic and career goals, how I would use the funds, and my general life philosophy. The grant allowed me to attend the United States Soccer Federation National B Coaching Course in Woodbury, MN in the summer of 2014. The cost of 10-day course is approximately $1,300, no small sum for a graduate student. The course was an important step in my growth and development as a soccer coach. Passing the course and obtaining the B License also helped me to attain my current coaching position as women’s soccer assistant coach at Concordia University in St. Paul, an NCAA Division II program.

Tara:   What is your career path?

Skylar:  In May of 2015, I graduated from the University of Minnesota with a M.Ed. in Kinesiology. I am considering pursuing a Ph.D. at some point, but not in the near future. I am currently heavily involved with coaching soccer. I coach youth at Woodbury Soccer Club as well as through Minnesota’s Olympic Development Program. I am also currently in my third year of coaching collegiate soccer as an assistant coach. I am undecided currently as to where my soccer coaching career path will eventually lead. I know that I want to keep learning and becoming a better soccer coach. My goal is to earn the USSF A License, the top soccer-coaching license in the country. Whether I end up becoming a college soccer head coach, the director of a youth soccer club, an MLS academy coach, or something else is uncertain. My plan is to continue to do my best with the opportunities that I have been provided and see what new and exciting opportunities await me down the road.